Kayal Pain & Spine Center encourages everyone to protect their backs
Franklin Lakes, NJ -- (SBWIRE) -- 10/23/2019 -- FRANKLIN LAKES, NJ—There are dozens of steps people can take to keep their backs healthy and strong, including getting enough exercise, eating right and using proper posture when sitting and standing.
The Kayal Pain & Spine team understands that back pain or injury can be just one wrong move away. That's why these skilled and experienced pain management specialists in Bergen County encourage their patients to treat their backs with care.
Here are 10 simple steps to a healthier back and a pain-free, active lifestyle:
1. Move. Spend 30 minutes at least three times a week exercising. Start slowly and build up time and intensity gradually. Walk with a straight back and brisk pace, swinging the arms without causing pain. Don't slump or lean forward.
2. Mix things up. Change positions in the course of the day. Those who stand frequently should take time to sit. Those who are mostly sedentary should get up and walk. Changing tasks every hour can help avoid or relieve pressure on the back.
3. Sit confidently. Feet should touch the floor or be supported. Knees and hips should be level. The spine should be straight. Look straight and avoid straining the neck. Adjust the chair seat and armrests. Keep the computer monitor at arms' length and even with the user's line of sight.
4. Stand correctly. Shoulder blades should be pulled back with the knees and spine straight. The head should be held straight, as well, without tilting it from side to side.
5. Use smart devices safely. Use proper posture when texting or reading on a mobile device. Sit up straight. Reduce neck and back strain by keeping the device at chest or eye level. When talking on the phone, use a hands-free device or speaker if possible to avoid holding the phone to the ear.
6. Lift with care. Get close to the object. Keep the back straight, bending the knees and hips. Don't lean over with straight legs. Keep movements fluid and smooth. When moving the object, don't twist the back. Instead, shift the feet. If an item weighs 25 percent more than a person's body weight, it's too heavy to lift. Get help.
7. Eat right. Choose a diet rich in vitamin D and anti-inflammatory foods to keep bones strong. Good choices include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and lean meats. Calcium-rich foods can help prevent osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and other spinal problems.
8. Counter stress. Yoga, meditation and other relaxation methods help reduce stress and ease muscle tension.
9. Sleep right. Choose a mattress that's firm enough to support the back and natural alignment of the spine. The best position for sleeping is on a person's side with bent knees, using a pillow between the knees to maintain proper posture.
10. Don't smoke. Smoking damages the vascular structures in spinal joints and discs, increasing the risk of back pain and degenerative spinal problems.
People who experience chronic pain or serious back injuries can count on the experts at Kayal Pain & Spine Center, the exceptional pain management specialists in Westwood and beyond, for quick and accurate diagnoses and the most innovative treatments and therapies. Schedule an appointment by calling 844.281.1783 or contact Kayal Pain & Spine Center by filling out this form.
About Kayal Pain & Spine Center
Kayal Pain & Spine Center is dedicated exclusively to pain management and spinal treatments. Its experienced, board-certified team has expertise in the diagnosis, treatment and pain management of herniated discs, sciatica, spinal stenosis and the full spectrum of chronic conditions. Based in Bergen County, NJ, the practice specializes in minimally invasive surgery, injury prevention, innovative therapies and pain management. Its eight convenient offices are in Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Westwood, Paramus, Paterson, Garfield and North Bergen, NJ, and Stony Point, NY.
For more information on this press release visit:
Media Relations Contact
Email: Click to Email Alyssa Young