Kayal Orthopaedic Center wants everyone to be healthy, safe
Franklin Lakes, NJ -- (SBWIRE) -- 03/08/2019 -- Recommitting to an exercise routine after a winter hiatus can be overwhelming. But trying to do too much too quickly is never the answer. It's a serious mistake that increases the risk of injury.
Kayal Orthopaedic Center's elite team of renowned sports medicine specialists serving Westwood, NJ, and the rest of Bergen County have seen the harm that can occur when fitness enthusiasts try to push beyond reasonable limits as they return to (or start) workout regimens. Overdoing it can result in a wide range of musculoskeletal injuries to the hips, knees, shoulders, back, neck, feet and ankles, including muscle strains, sprains, pulls and tears.
Here are 10 tips to resume an exercise routine safely:
1. Be realistic. Even a few months off from regular exercise can result in extra weight, poor muscle tone, less stamina and more. Don't dwell on it, though. Keep moving forward. A renewed commitment to good health will pay off.
2. Ease into it. An overly aggressive start doesn't just increase the risk of injury. It also can lead to frustration followed by failure. Start slowly to stay safe and instill confidence. A low-intensity session of roughly 10 minutes is a great start. Then, build up time and endurance.
3. Ignore the "rules." Pay no attention to how many days a workout regimen "should" be. Even one day a week is better than being a total couch potato.
4. Embrace variety. A solid workout should include cardiovascular endurance, strength training and flexibility. A five-day plan might consist of two days of cardio, three days of strength training and two days of active rest.
5. Take time to regroup. Rest days replenish and repair the body. Don't skip them.
6. Always warm up and cool down. Warm-up exercises prepare the body for a tough workout. Cooldowns slowly bring the heart rate back to its normal resting rate and reduce muscle soreness.
7. Form matters. Focus on proper technique to maximum the value of a workout and prevent injuries.
8. Listen closely. The body sends messages when a workout is too strenuous. Learn how to distinguish muscle soreness (which is normal) from pain (which is unhealthy). Trust the body's signals. If necessary, schedule an appointment with a sports medicine specialist at Kayal Orthopaedic Center.
9. Get enough sleep. Sleep helps the body recover from strenuous exercise. Never underestimate its value.
10. Pair up. A workout partner can help with motivation, accountability and safety.
The team at Kayal Orthopaedic Center applauds those who are committed to healthier, more active lifestyles. This elite practice is the one-stop center for every orthopaedic need, from sports medicine to knee replacement surgery in Westwood, NJ. Schedule an appointment by calling 844.281.1783 or filling out this form.
About Kayal Orthopaedic Center
Kayal Orthopaedic Center offers the full spectrum of orthopaedic care. Located in Bergen County, NJ, the practice specializes in minimally invasive surgery, injury prevention, innovative therapies and pain management. It has four convenient offices in New Jersey: Glen Rock, Franklin Lakes, Westwood and Paramus (coming soon); and one location in Stony Point, NY.
For more information on this press release visit:
Media Relations Contact
Email: Click to Email Alyssa Young